Thursday, September 20, 2012

Phone apps - Today's topic is food! One of my favorite topics!

It is a beautiful day in sunny Orlando, Florida.

It is always exciting for me to talk about food. My husband would tell you that when he coaxes me out of the house to go for a bike ride (and his bike rides are not leisurely) he always has to dangle a carrot in my face to get me to go on his adventures. That carrot is usually something like "If we ride at least 10 miles, we will stop afterwards for lunch out." That usually does it for me.

Anyway, my topic today is about anything related to food and phone apps. I have an I-Phone as I previously mentioned so I will caveat this with the fact that the apps I mention, may not be available on other types of phones. I am going to name the free ones only today as I am not one to easily pay for an app, unless you count the time my daughter Jenna talked me into Hipstamatic.

Finding a restaurant

When I got my first I-Phone, the first app I was told to get was "Around Me." It has been handy for finding almost anything. I did find it a little frustrating this summer when I went to Indiana to visit my sister and we were in the middle of nowhere (sorry Karen) and it occasionally had nothing for me. Or if it did, it took me in directions I did not want to go. I ended up using Siri but that story is for another day. Overall, it works pretty good on finding what is available close by.

If you are looking for some fun, try Urbanspoon. It offers GPS technology to find what is closest to you and if you cannot decide what restaurant to go to (this is often my situation) you can shake your I-phone and it will make a decision for you. Keep in mind, you don't really have to choose to go there...:) It also has various filters to narrow down details such as pricing, neighborhood, etc.

Foodspotting is an app that not only helps you find a restaurant, but it also rates dishes and where to find "good" food. I have not tried this one yet but according to the review, it was voted Time's 50 best I-Phone apps of 2012.

Grub Hub Food Delivery is good app to use if you are looking for a restaurant nearby that delivers. You can view menus, reviews and restaurant information. It is available in over 300 cities according to their review.

Another great option on apps is if you are looking for a specific and favorite place. The following have apps that will tell you where the closest one is to your current location. Some common ones are: Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Domino's Pizza, Chili's, Pizza Hut, T.G.I. Fridays, Moe's, and so many more options.

All this talk about food, is making me hungry. Wishing everyone a very happy day!

As always, with Honesty, Integrity and Smile!

Diane
www.dianesfloridahomes.com
diane@dianesfloridahomes.com
407-353-8794




No comments:

Post a Comment